It’s always a fun challenge for me to create something new and fresh. Recently, I bought a blue duck cloth remnant and liked the idea of using it for a fish. I sketched a “fish” shape onto the back side of the fabric with my fabric marker and after I cut it out (with pinking shears by the way), the “fish” was really short and wide. Oops! Not what I was going for. I flipped it upside down and would you know it, an octopus!
I quickly cut out another set of symmetrical tentacles to add to his body. I then chose a yellow duck cloth for the eyes and mouth, so they would pop out against the blue. I used pinking shears on these pieces as well to help against fraying. I then cut out a piece of the green polka-dot that I previously used in my fabric fish tutorial to fit inside the picture frame as a background. I really liked the green so I added another set of eyes, slightly smaller, on top of the yellow eyes to coordinate with the background. Black felt pieces as pupils finished this sea creature off and I called it a day! Not bad for remnants, scraps and a clearance-priced picture frame.